I discuss #social strategies with many businesses. Everyone understands that it is the way forward. Everyone understands why it has to be sooner than later. But almost everyone takes no action and gets stranded with the decision. They do not move forward. Often during the discussions I hear the reasons.
I talk about mapping their current practices to digital equivalents. That is not easy with their current practices.
Some of the reasons I generally see are:
- Businesses are not transparent with their employees/customers/stakeholders/partners.
- Business owners want total control of the situation. They fail to realize that customers don’t need their permissions to talk about them.
- The team knows they are not good with customer service.
- Businesses know they are not sincere.
- They know they do not have great products.
- They know they want to retain hierarchichal structure with total control.
- Most of them think customer education will make it difficult for them to sell/serve. So they don’t want to initiate customer education. They think explaining about their products/services, in a way to sell them, is customer education. They are so naive sometimes. They want to wait out till customer learns on their own.
They are more afraid that their not-so-good face will come out openly and hit them badly. They ask me how they can control things. They want to know if there is a way to project only the good face. They ask me if they can partially do whatever. They ask me who will take responsibility.
They are right not going #social with these drawbacks. #social is not a plug-in.
I tell them how they can start and change their businesses using #social and use it as an opporunity to both correct the drawbacks and also to have their dream fulfilled towards the future.