This week I am teaching a class of management students on #digital marketing. What I find, especially with management students, is the tendency to use jargons. I love jargons too. Nothing wrong in throwing one’s weight using jargons. But when asked for an explanation, if you are wrong or have not understood what the jargon means, you stand exposed. Hence one should be careful. Alternatively practicing to use simple words, to explain, attracts people. It never goes wrong. Not using jargons, no one will run the risk. But using jargons and not able to explain it can undo a lot of things. So be careful while using jargons. What earns you respect is what you can explain simply. I try to teach in simple terms and then introduce jargons. Just an observation from the class. What do you think?
These are my views addressing Healthcare marketers who are coming in (with technology) for the future. A twitter conversation with @HealthIsSocial is shared to encourage you to post your comments.
The reasons why I think MSMEs will be good successful participants of eCommerce are
- Single Owners (single can mean individual or family)
- Own Capital (most of them run their businesses on their own capital)
- Owners can take decisions (Decision Makers)
- Decision Makers control and manage the business on a daily basis
- Most of them will have experience ranging from 10-40 years in business
- Most of them know all the business challenges of their respective businesses
Don’t you think there is a strong case for their moving towards eCommerce with such strong attributes which help the decision making and transition required. Feel free to comment or add what you think.
I had said that training programs, with basic content, educating about eCommerce will help rates of adoption.
- The training should start from introduction to Internet, mobile Internet and online market concept.
- Businesses should be taught to think of opportunities.
- They should be encouraged to check with their existing customers and see some proof.
- Seeing their name on the internet will sure encourage them to do this exercise of showing and getting more feedback.
- They can be taught to start from the Contact Page (even their promotion to customers can start here).
- They will see a lot of relevance when they start from this page. They can be taught to spend a few hours everyday online.
- Simple designs, video testimonials can be easily picked up by them while they learn.
- It should be explained that eCommerce can be tried as a part of overall business while they are on the learning curve with limited resources.
- They can use Signage and Hand-outs to promote their presence online with existing customers and/or at their current traditional outlets.
What sellers can do over the internet:
- Learn Internet as a market place
- Learn marketing over the internet
- Learn actual selling over the internet
- Learn to share information
- Collaborate internally (with employees)
- Learn the advantage of expanding markets, if they can deliver over the internet
Factors that could encourage people adopt eCommerce
- Increased sales
- Reduced costs
- Improved customer service leading to increase in sales
- Supply chain streamlining and solving continuity issues
- Overall efficiency compared to traditional methods employed
- Lack of Internet access
- Lack of skilled staff
- Consumer indifference
- Security concerns